Friday, March 23, 2012

It's squeaky bum time

The marathon is only 4 weeks away and I am nervous. I have crept my mileage up to 10 miles, but clearly that is some way from 26.2. Running a marathon is not just about putting your shoes on and running, you have to prepare for the race itself. To this end I have entered a half marathon in Marlow on Sunday. 13 miles, oh dear, that's a long way isn't it?

At a running event I guess you have to think about a few things:


  • Where the hell is it, do I know how to get to this place?
  • Is it hilly or flat, on pavement/road or a trail (what techie equipment do I need)?
  • How do I run with all these other mad competitive nutters?


I have run with a local club here a few miles away in Aylesbury, but I generally run on my own. Why would I want to run with anyone else? I don't run to be sociable, part of the fun of running for me is that there is no one else there. It's an obvious point to state that to run a race you have to run with other people, so this Sunday run out will help me get used to that. I generally don't enjoy the competitive aspect of running or any sport for that matter. I run with the purpose of that good old British Corinthian spirit - it is not the winning or losing that counts, it is the taking part, of being there (that's why I support QPR - experiencing all those wins as Man City fans do must be bloody tedious the sad smug gits).

I have run half marathons before, a good few years ago, I remember it being a rather humbling experience. As a 19 year old you think you are superman, but I do remember being passed by some relatively senior people rather effortlessly (my times were 1.45 for a half marathon - that's not bad I thought for a fat bloke). A 19 year old huffing and puffing away and being passed by a 70 year old granny on mile 12 may sound odd, but I suggest you run a half marathon race on a Sunday if you think its funny. There are a few 'experienced' people out there who will take your lunch you young fool. On that point, I passed an old duffer last week on my 10 mile run whilst going up 'Mark Hughes Hill' (regular readers of this blog will know what that is) and the old bugger said to me, 'well you are much younger than me chap'. Bugger off I thought, I am just fitter, age has little to do with it, not when it comes to recreational half marathons. Maybe at the elite level it does, but I am some way from elite (putting it generously).

So the purpose of this half marathon is not for a 'chocolate medal' but to get organised for this daunting MK marathon at the end of April, and to experience a race. Oh god, I am nervous now. It's squeaky bum time.

2 comments:

nrb said...

Good luck on Sunday. I have my season first HM in a few hours. I have now realized I have pretty much hit my max speed, to move up to a faster target time would mean doing training speeds that would be seriously uncomfortable. The hope is I can just get to maintain my curent speeds for longer which is anyway the trick for the ironman (insane goal). I did agree once about the running alone and I still do for the longer runs, but for intervals which I assume you include in your training I find the motivation much easier if you have a partner. A pain shared is.......

waddyranger said...

Reading back this blog, my comments about running alone do look a little miserable! :) One of the great aspects of the half marathon in Marlow today was the running group around you supporting each other. I had a few conversations today with my running peers - there was a lady from Grenoble who enjoys cross country skiing, a gentleman from Wycombe who was disappointed with Wycombe Wanderers season so far and then general 'keep going nearly there!' gee up discussions. There were also a few people out to support the event, clap and a make sure you don't get lost. It was a very well organised event and I just about made my 2 hour target time (completing in about 1.58). Over the next weeks I will drop down to 10 miles on Sunday, then the week after I will try 20 miles. Oh dear. Good luck with the ironman!