Monday, March 12, 2012

And they think it's all over

My team QPR could have done with that Russian linesman that enabled England to win the world cup in 1966 on Saturday. The ball did cross the line! Does it really matter? No, QPR are rubbish at the moment, and anyone that knows me well will know that I find that comforting. It didn't feel right with QPR winning every week last season, oh crushing defeat and disappointment - where have you been my old friends.


Anyway, onto a more optimistic topic. I am not giving up on the marathon just yet. I have been outside in the elements running for the last few weeks and have built up to 8 miles on Sunday (slow 10 minute miles, but they felt good). Yes, I know that's a long way short of 26, but you have to start somewhere...

I am aiming for the Marlow half marathon on 25th March, and I will see how I feel after that as to whether I push up the miles for the MK Marathon at the end of April. I have been experiencing an achilles issue for the last few months as anyone who has read this blog may know and it feels much better having not ran at all for two months. Let's see if it holds up. What's the worst that can happen, if it really goes bad I can always stop :)

I guess I could just stop, but what's the fun in stopping? I have been training for this (well swimming and biking) for months now. I have the places booked on these races, so I will go for it. I will reduce my targets and will aim to just get round. I fear that 26 miles is an unforgiving distance, but again if things fall apart halfway through the race, I am not stuck in the desert on one of those crazy ultramarathons, I am in MK - I can just catch a bus hahahaha. You have to watch out for those dangerous concrete cows though I've heard in MK, look at these:



I haven't mentioned the music I have been listening to for a while - so accompanying me on these runs recently were:

School of Seven Bells. I like this very 80's pop (but released a few weeks ago) and that's great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUrQnDVWXvo
John Mellencamp. I haven't listened to this in years and recently came across it again. it reminds me of my 6th form back in 1993 before I discovered Britpop indie music (Blur, oasis, radiohead (is Radiohead Britpop ohhhh)). Oh it's great to indulge oneself with this american rock stuff isn't it :): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXCD7hmlicg

No comments: