Monday, April 23, 2012

Over it or through it?

Before writing the rest of this blog, I am running the marathon on Sunday in memory of my grandad and have created a justgiving page for St. Francis Hospice in Berkhamsted in memory of the care they provided at the end of his life. My grandad would have enjoyed QPR's victory over Chelsea this season. Oh that was good. You may donate here if you wish (Chelsea supporters are also welcome to leave a donation): http://www.justgiving.com/Chris-Lovell

Blog starts......

It's only a few days away now, and I am increasingly nervous. I have run close to 20 miles on a couple of occasions over the last few weeks and feel as if I have become acquainted with the wall. I didn't quite pass through it, or over it or whatever you are meant to do - I just acknowledged its presence and then stopped. It is as if we met, shook hands had a brief genial discussion and then I hobbled away. The wall is to be respected.

I really feel terrible around that 20 mile mark. But I will keep going on Sunday even if I have to walk the rest of the way around.

I realise now that long distance running is a strange obsession. I am hobbling around the house for a few days after these long runs, that can't be good can it? Long hot baths are my balm now.

Sunday will be my last long run for a while I think. I just have to endure 26.2 more miles. Tough obstacles are associated with the marathon analogy because it isn't just the marathon itself that is difficult, it's the long hours of training and reflection that you have to put in for it I think. Great, nearly there now.

As I finally prepare for Sunday, I would like to close this blog on remembering the following excellent advice for how to go about completing a long distance running event posted here a few months ago from Helen Diamantides (the great British endurance athlete) in Richard Askwith's book 'Feet in the clouds':

'Find out what's involved. Find out what your strengths and what your weaknesses are. Face up to your problems - there is no substitute for knowing yourself. Sort out which pair of shorts don't chafe and what food you can keep down. Do your homework. There is no such thing as good luck. Good luck comes to those that are best prepared. Above all, if you are not going to enjoy it, don't bother. It's an awful long way, and an awful long time to be miserable'.

4 comments:

Karthik Sankar said...

Good Luck Chris!

Karthik Sankar said...

Good Luck Chris!

Unknown said...

Putting yourself through pain for a very worthwhile cause. Likewise im running sunday for Willen hospice and i too have encountered the strange world at 20ish miles. i feel like i'm currently held together with stickey tape and glue. Have a great run on sunday, good luck.

Daniel Sanabria said...

Good Luck tomorrow mate !!! You're ready for this !!!